Sunday, March 7, 2010

"And time yet for a hundred indecisions, And for a hundred visions and revisions"

I wasn't really sure of what I wanted to write about tonight. I should really be studying but felt the need to blog in order to keep my sanity. So instead of picking a topic I thought I would just get quotes from books/literary pieces I've read over the years, more specifically, the ones that have struck a chord in my mind.

"Havermeyer was a lead bombardier who never missed. Yossarian was a lead bombardier who had been demoted because he no longer gave a damn whether he missed or not. He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt, and his only mission each time he went up was to come down alive."

- 'Catch 22'

"There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,...

Time for you and time for me,
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of a toast and tea"

- 'The Love Song of J.Alfred Prufrock'

"The trouble is," Teddy said, "most people don't want to see things the way they are. They don't even want to stop getting born and dying all the time. They just want new bodies all the time, instead of stopping and staying with God, where it's really nice." He reflected. "I never saw such a bunch of apple-eaters,"

-'Teddy'

"If you had a million years to do it in, you couldn't rub out even half the 'Fuck you' signs in the world. It's impossible"

-'The Catcher in the Rye'

"What are these truths that the majority flocks around?
They're the ones so ripe in age they're nearly senile. But, gentlemen, when a truth's grown that old, its gone a long way towards becoming a lie"

-'Enemy of the People'

"The bright mirror I braved: the devil in it
Loved me like my soul, my soul:
Now that I seek myself in a serpent
My smile is fatal."

- 'Cleopatra to the Asp'

Words are simply what they are called - 'words'. But put some action behind words and suddenly they have impact. They become a force. We will read many things and be lectured countless times but only when you 'walk the talk' does it ever mean anything.




No comments: