Monday, September 29, 2008

you can't spell irrational without rational

Most people's minds work in an orderly fashion.
Decisions are made through a logical process:
  1. A problem is at hand
  2. You consider the facts
  3. Weigh the options
  4. Choose the best decision based on what is known.
This is how my mind works. Whatever decision I am making it goes through this motion to arrive at a logical conclusion. A rational process with a rational result. But what happens when you throw an irrational factor into the mix? Or what if the entire problem is irrational? Logic is rendered useless and the mind can only provide arguments for both sides of the equation but never a solution. This has been one of my biggest struggles and it continually returns to test me and more often than not, defeats my rationalisation and rubs it in the dirt.

How do you deal with it? I have no idea. More than ever I am trying to think carefully about my choices and what the consequences may be. But sometimes you have to put aside all the 'for' and 'against' arguments in order to move forward. It's sort of like investing- you know the risk profile of an asset, it may be high or it may be low but there's no such thing as a zero risk investment. In the end, if you want the return you need to take a risk. In my case, I need to stop thinking about the other factors and chase after a reward, which in the end, may not be there.

Irrationality, risk and failure. The biggest fears of a person accustomed to logical reasoning. But I need to move beyond these limits if I am ever going to have a chance of finding reward. That leaves only one question to be answered:

"Is the reward worth the risk?"

Yes. Without a doubt.

No comments: